What is it?
Extracorporeal shockwave therapy (ESWT) is a non-invasive form of treatment backed up by a large body of research and clinical trials. It’s a treatment for tendon pain (tendinopathy) or as part of rehab for a range of biomechanical issues – like posture, alignment, gait, running style, muscle length and strength.
What we treat
- achilles tendinopathy
- plantar fasciitis
- gluteal med tendinopathy
- calcific rotator cuff
- calcific tendonitis of the shoulder
- tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis)
- patella tendinopathy
- Osgood Schlatter’s
- trochanteric pain syndrome
- calcific tendon pain
- refractory greater trochanteric pain
- golfer elbow (medial epicondylitis)
How does it work?
Using an applicator with a gel interface, a series of low energy acoustic wave pulsations are applied directly to your tendon and the surrounding muscle groups. This provides instant pain relief, stimulates your body’s natural inflammatory response to boost healing, and breaks down scar tissue and calcification in tendons. Your tendon can then heal any disrepair.
- £275 for a series of three sessions
- session 1 – 30-minute assessment and shockwave treatment
- sessions 2 and 3 – 15-minute shockwave treatments
- £100 for additional sessions
- covered by BUPA and AXA
- please check with your insurer for authorisation
What to expect
Applying the wave pulsations is non-invasive and very safe. It can be uncomfortable though – as the pulsations cause a controlled micro-trauma which provides a window of opportunity for your body to heal. So you’ll need to avoid heavy impact and weight-bearing exercises for a short period after treatment. We’ll give you instructions.
Meet our consultant partners
We value the established, trusted relationships we’ve formed with our handpicked circle of specialist medical partners. We have direct access to specialists who provide speedy communication, referrals, investigations and sound advice.